Dr. Hayley Brown is a board certified plastic surgeon, trained in safe and effective liposuction practices and techniques. Even though it is minimally invasive, it needs to be undertaken with all safety standards in place.
To find out more information about liposuction, including the details of the procedure and your suitability, please call 702-260-7707 to schedule a consultation at Desert Hills Plastic Surgery Center. Dr. Brown serves patients throught Nevada at our office in Henderson.
Your Liposuction Evaluation
During your consultation, Dr. Brown will advise you on what areas should be considered for liposuction so that an attractive shape is obtained and subsequently clothing looks good and fits comfortably. She will also give you an honest and straightforward opinion about whether or not the fatty deposits are amenable to weight loss and exercise, instead of surgery.
Not everyone has great skin or tissue tone. Skin looseness, unevenness, and cellulite are common issues that affect everyone. In these patients, liposuction is commonly performed, and appearance and body contour is significantly improved, but skin retraction can be less predictable.
There are various techniques to perform liposuction. Safety is essential, so standard proven safe and effective techniques are recommended.
Tumescent technique is the safest. This means that a fluid solution containing epinephrine is injected into the area prior to suctioning. This distends the subcutaneous space while epinephrine prevents bleeding. Evacuation of fat can proceed with various techniques depending on surgeon personal preference, treatment area, and desired result.
Today, there is not yet a minimally invasive device or technique to tighten or smooth skin reliably and predictably. Skin retraction can occur irrespective of liposuction technique based on natural elasticity that is present in all patients’ skin. Patient age and treatment location affect skin retraction more so than any technique.
Not one technique is proven better than another. Dr. Brown’s personal preference is Power-Assisted Liposuction, with Ultrasonic Liposuction in more fibrous areas such as the chest and upper back.
Who Is a Candidate for Liposuction?
- Works best for people who are of normal and stable weight, but have areas of “resistant” fat that has not responded to diet and exercise
- Patients with genetic predispositions to certain bulges
- People who wish to change the contour of their body
- Individuals with body disproportion, such as a narrow upper body with wide hips and thighs (pear-shaped), or thick trunk with thin extremities (apple-shaped), to improve body contour and achieve attractive silhouettes
- Healthy patients who are mildly to moderately overweight, yet stable in size, and with realistic goals may be good candidates for surgery.
- Patients with poorer skin tone, cellulite, looseness, or unevenness of their skin may be good candidates for body contouring with liposuction, provided they have realistic expectations, understanding that their current skin condition will not change and can rarely be worsened. Skin tightening procedures such as abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), thigh lifts, arm lifts, or neck lifts can always be performed as a second stage to tighten and smooth overlying skin if desired
- Patients with “intra-abdominal” distention, bloating, or “beer-belly” are not candidates for abdominal liposuction. In these patients, fatty accumulation occurs on the inside of the abdominal wall, and liposuction only treats external fat. Weight loss with diet modification is the only way to affect appearance change in this situation
Ultimately, the choice to undergo liposuction is a personal one, and Dr. Brown will provide you with as much information as you need to arrive at an educated final decision. Contact Desert Hills Plastic Surgery Center online or call 702-260-7707 to speak with Dr. Brown at our office in Henderson, Nevada.